Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day


Had I been told that I would be desperately happy to receive the above pictured for my first mothers day even a year ago, I most likely would have snorted and sneered at he who dared to attempt to domesticate me, as if I were some kind of animal. Now? Now I am ecstatic. Being a mom means not really having anything visible to work and finish... Sure there is laundry, but it multiplies. There is cooking, but it just gets eaten and leaves a mess. There are diapers, sippy cups, baby food clean ups, grocery store visits, baths and every once in a while, I get to shave my legs. While all very time consuming and necessary, I used to have a job. I used to get praise, a raise, travel benefits, emergency phone calls with problems I could actually solve.
These things made me feel important in some way, acknowledged for something I could measure. Motherhood, well, there isn't really a measure now is there? It's not like the sims where I could feed, diaper, burp, cuddle and build up points that will net me a napping child when I need a moment. This is the hardest thing I have ever done, but I am loving every minute of it.
Back to my machine. I made a dress for Elle the other day on my moms machine. Simple, cute, easy. I loved having a project that was finishable. So, my husband, for mothers day, got me my own. I can now start and finish things for myself. I do not have to go to moms or borrow her machine. The question now is what to sew first? Thank you Paul, for the machine, for the baby, for love and happiness. You are the best. I lovey you.

No comments: